Top 10 Costa Rica Destinations
1. Arenal Volcano – Located about 90 km northwest of San Jose the Arenal or town of La Fortuna is one of Costa Rica’s top destinations. The Arenal Volcano area is a great first stop when on a Costa Rica Vacation. One of its highlights is the natural hot springs that run off from the volcano. Here you can soak in the warm mineral rich waters while enjoying a beverage at the many hotels. One of the best hotels in this area is the Tabacon Hot springs hotel. Be sure to tour the volcano and partake in the many activities that Lake Arenal offers.
- 2. Manuel Antonio – Usually a great second stop after Arenal this place offers luxury mixed with tropical rainforest and pristine beaches. Set just above the Manuel Antonio National park beautiful hotels and resorts await you. Be sure to take a tour of the National park while on your visit. Animals like the two toed sloth, squirrel monkeys and toucan are often seen. Manuel Antonio is also home to a great beach and activities like fishing and diving.
- 3. Monteverde Cloud Forest – Located in the Central Highlands area this place is a great escape from the city life. Mountain resorts that look more like coffee estates are found in this area. Activities like zip lines, tram rides and bird watching are excellent in this area.
4. Tamarindo – Made popular by the movie Endless Summer this town has it all. Great surf, local culture and cool hotels. This is the best way to take in the culture and meet the locals. Tamarindo has some great surf spots and a large night life. Many fishing charters can be arranged here where you likely to hook up on some sail fish and mahi-mahi. If you’re lucky you might go during the local fiesta and even see the locals bull riding!
- Puerto Viejo – If you have been to Costa Rica before and did not see the Caribbean side now is your chance. This place has a totally different feeling then the pacific side. Strong reggae culture and vibes influence the restaurants and hotels. Dirt roads and flip flops pretty much describe this area
- Drake Bay – This bay is found in the Osa Peninsula area and is an eco-tourism hot spot. Here you will find the Corcovado National Park. This place has some cool local style hotels that blend well with all the nature surrounding it.
- Mal Pais – One of the top destinations for surfers as the waves can be great in this area. Close by is the Cabo Blanco National Park which is worth checking out. The night life is fun in this area and really is a surfer’s paradise
- Jaco – Generally reserved for the younger crowd that wants to party, Jaco is sure to impress them. The night life can be very wild in this town on the weekends and even weekdays. Surfing and excellent fishing can be found all throughout this area.
- San Jose – Although not everyone’s top destination this main city of Costa Rica can be really fun. Historical buildings, malls, good food, clubs and even beer tours can be found here. They even have city walks where you get an inside tip on the town. Day trips to go down the Rio Pacuare can be found in the local San Jose hotels.
- Tortuguero – If you’re in the Caribbean side for your trip you can check out this beautiful area. Home to a great National Park you can check out the Turtle Nestling. This is a good spot to do boat tours of the park and if you’re into fishing you can find a snook guide.